We all know that the internet is a place where we can find a lot of data. When we think that we can find thousands of pictures and millions of sites we only make a rough estimate of the size that we think the internet is. Although we know it is quite big we certainly do not know the exact numbers. In fact, if we stop to analyse the real life internet stats we certainly get surprised with the magnitude that things have reached. Let’s take a look at some interesting real life internet stats that can be found at pingdom.com. Are you ready to have your jaws drop?
- Have you ever wondered how many websites are up and running on the web today? 634 MILLION, according to the stats of December 2012.
- Every single year approximately 54 million websites are created and added to the web. If we think on a daily basis, every day around 148.000 sites are put on the web.
- The top websites are hosted in the United States of America. These top 1 million web pages have 43% of the total share of the market.
- Now did you know that the internet also has millions of blogs? They are very important as well since they hold a good share of the web space available today. 48% of the top 100 blogs in the world today are run by WordPress. Now you know why WordPress is so famous eh!
- WordPress counts with 59.4 million sites worldwide. WordPress certainly deserves some of our love.
- 3.5 BILLION is the number of webpages run by WordPress that are viewed every single month in a worldwide scale.
- The top 10.000 sites are certainly important. Now did you know that 75% of them are run by open source software? Yes, you can find high quality open source software out there to help you release a site.
- Now let’s think a little bit about blogs. We all know that blogs are a fever today, but did you have any idea that we have almost 88 million Tumblr blogs available today. The exact numbers as of the 2012 stats are of 87.8 million blogs.
- Still thinking about Tumblr. Did you know that the number of page views for Tumblr have reached 17.8 million in 2012? This number is only bound to increase in 2013.
- As for Reddit.com, 2012 stats show that the number of page views for that year was 37 BILLION.
- In 2012 the page loading time was increased 35% while only 4% of sites had their loading time slowed down.
- The total number of visitors to Google Sites (that happens to be the number 1 property in the United States) was of 191 million until November 2012.
Now that you know a little bit more the real life stats of the net, let’s wait and see what will have changed in 2013. We will give you the internet stats of 2013 as soon as we get it and analyse the changes and who knows, predict what the net is going to be like!