That being said, what does it take for an individual to turn a recreational blog into a moneymaker?
To the surprise of probably many individuals, turning a recreational blog into one where they can make some profits is not all that hard. Yes, time and effort are two key principles, but they were likely there from the start when you came up with your blog.
If you find yourself looking to get a little more out of your blog, keep some of these things in mind:
* Consider obtaining advertising – If you have a blog that is relevant, has fresh content, and serves a purpose to different businesses, you could be in line to score some advertising on your site. Among the different options are services like Google’s AdSense or BlogAds. AdSense allows users to choose a number of ads that are consistent with the content of their blog, with the blogger getting compensated on how many readers click on the ads for more information. With BlogAds, bloggers can team up with potential advertisers and receive a commission in return for any ad placements that result.
* Turn to affiliate programs – If you go this route, your blog can serve as a middleman between both readers and online sites that offer different goods and services. One such example would be Amazon.com. In the event you offer book reviews on your blog, using an affiliate program allows you to be compensated when a reader clicks directly from your blog to Amazon and makes a purchase.
Is Your Content Fresh and Relevant?
* Serve up fresh and relevant content – It may seem rather obvious, but does your blog provide fresh and relevant content day after day? If the answer is no, you are missing out on the potential to earn more with it. Those blogs that are constantly updated and have a targeted message do much better with search engines. If you are looking to earn some extra cash, keep the blog on message, update it regularly, and promote it. One great way to do just that is via social media. Utilize various sites like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, and others to promote your blog on a regular basis.
* Turn the blog into a home-based business – With more and more people being pinched by today’s economy, turning a simple recreational blog into some funds only makes sense. No matter what specialty you may offer, you can use your blog to promote it. As an example, say you like to blog about jewelry and even make some pieces in your spare time. By using the blog to promote your handmade pieces, you can potentially run a small business out of your home before you know it.
*Key in on keywords – In order to help bring traffic back to your site, make sure you use relevant keywords when blogging. As you may or may not know, search engine optimization (SEO) is very important when promoting your blog. If your recreational blog revolves around marketing topics and you want to make some money, use keywords that will entice marketing consumers to come to your blog. When using keywords, take the time to analyze which ones are working for your blog and which ones are not, thereby allowing you to key in on useful terms.
Engage Your Readers Regularly
* Be engaged – Last but not least, make sure you are engaged with your readers on a regular basis. In order to do this, promote discussion regarding your blog posts, while also making it simple for readers to make comments regarding your posts. When someone comments, make sure you reply in a timely manner, not many days later. Share your articles with other bloggers so that networking becomes a regular part of your engagement.
If blogging up to now has just been for fun, are you interested in taking it a step further and making some money from it?
In the event the answer is yes, what are you waiting for?
About the author: With 23 years of experience as a writer, Dave Thomas covers a wide array of topics for Reputation.com and other websites.