Note on Oct 3, 2014: I am Aykut, founder of Worth Of Web Academy. This article was written by a guest writer who is not writing at this blog now. This topic is not my area of expertise but after I checked comments below, I decided to put this note here. This article can include inaccurate statements. I encourage to read the article and comments to get involved in the discussion. I did not want to delete it completely because I want future readers to reach everything on this page. Thanks for your consideration 🙂
For the comparison of jQuery vs Dojo
- JQuery provides User Interface libraries with many useful functionalities. JQuery is easy to use and customization feature is making it popular and adoption is all time high. Alternatively, Dojo toolkit provides the features of widget toolkit. It also comes with the feature of 2D vector drawing, 3D, drag and drop support of tree widgets. User interfaces that are dynamic in nature are created by using this toolkit.
- As far as usage of Jquery vs Dojo is concerned, Dojo is a rapid development toolkit for web oriented software on desktop and mobile and internet applications without using the browser’s inbuilt graphics technology. Dojo is being used by all the popular internet browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera and on smart phones and tablets by Apple (iPhone, iPad) Google ( Android) and BlackBerry. Generally, JQuery is used mostly for the web application and dynamic web pages. JQuery is being used by Wikipedia, WordPress, BackBone etc. The JQuery can be downloaded from http://jquery.com/ whereas Dojo Toolkit can be downloaded from http://dojotoolkit.org/
For the DOM (document object module) features on Jquery vs Dojo, JQuery provides the selection of one or multiple element and group of Document Object Model DOM elements. And can customize the properties of DOM element like hide, show, add, subtract, find DOM element and many more. On the other hand, Dojo provides the functionality of connection between DOM element and function of Dojo easily. Dojo contains many DOM elements, HTML, SVG and Style packages with handling and manipulation power between DOM and SVG.
So when it comes to JQuery vs Dojo, we may conclude that, JQuery is better than Dojo because:
- Dojo provides many customizing options but it is a bulky and heavy toolkit whereas JQuery is a light weight with 19K compressed base libraries.
- Dojo requires a higher network bandwidth than JQuery.
- At present, the Dojo toolkit is not well documented and the tutorials are less, making it difficult to get in-depth help with development. For JQuery, as many documents and tutorials are easily available out there, it will be the best option to get started.