PHP stands for Hypertext Processor and is widely used open source language which is executed on the server and is free to download. It was created by a developer called Rasmus Lerdorf to track people who were looking at his resume.
Reasons for recommending PHP for dummies are as follows:
- PHP is compatible with most of the servers. It runs on different platforms such as Windows, Unix, and Mac OS X and supports various databases such as Oracle and Mysql. PHP runs efficiently on server side and developers recommend PHP for dummies as it is easy to learn.
- PHP is embedded into HTML which helps to add functions and interacts with Web pages to produce desired result by collecting, processing and utilizing data.
- PHP improves the functionality of the HTML page to interact with database and provide users the facility of using e-form, shopping carts, interactive forums, private messaging and shopping carts.
- PHP is easier to learn and use. It helps to add many functions to webpage with basic knowledge.
PHP script is used in the following areas:
- Command line scripting: PHP parser is used to run PHP without any server or browser. When heavy task such as bulk e-mailing is run on the background, command line scripting is required. Command line scripting doesn’t have maximum termination time and it can run as long as the server is running. Command line scripting helps to complete time consuming tasks such as taking backups of Web sites, taking backups of databases and transferring heavy files in less time.
- Serve-side scripting: Server side scripting is a technique which includes embedding scripts in an HTML source code. According to this technique, script running server side tackle the user’s request to the website before server reacts to the user’s request. PHP processor module helps to interpret code by a web server to get desired webpage. It can be used in standalone graphical applications.
- Desktop applications: PHP is not very suitable for desktop applications but some advanced PHP and PHP-GTK helps to write desktop applications. PHP-GTK is an extension to PHP which helps to write cross-platform applications.
To start working on PHP, beginners need to perform the following tasks:
- Find a web host that provides support for PHP and compatible databases.
- Install web server, PHP and database on the computer.
- Create .php files, and save .php files in the web directory.
The server automatically transfers all the files to the user’s computer and then the user can start working on PHP. User should take backups of the important files before modifying them.
Working with PHP
- Basic knowledge of HTML is essential to start working on PHP. Programs of HTML can be used to create PHP pages with the help of text editor. FTP client is required to transfer files from one computer to the other. Users need to have basic knowledge of programming structures, such as variables and if conditional statements to start working with PHP files.
- Loops help to enhance functionality of the PHP page by repeating particular action over and over again till the condition is met.
- Finally users can learn to write custom functions to create various PHP files
Programmers advice PHP as it is not only easy to learn but also provides a wide range of features to enhance the functionality of web pages. It is compatible with various operating systems and databases.