If your website takes too much time to load, your ROI can be badly affected. Besides, Google has recently announced that website loading speed is considered as an important factor while they rank websites. Slow speed of a website causes problems to the search engine spiders, visitors and what not. Hence the key to have an excellent page rank is the combination of quality content with fast loading speed. So let’s take a look at the solutions to the slow loading speed of a website.
How to find website speed?
- PageSpeed Online – a tool from Google that shows the performance of your webpage with suggestions and solutions to increase website speed.
- YSlow – similar tool from yahoo.
- WebPagetest – gives detail checklists about your site.
- Web Page Analyzer
Tips to increase performance and speed:
- Minimize the number of http requests that is needed to load your page properly.
- Compress the image files, use different formats like PNG for high quality transparent, JPG for photographs and GIF for logos and text images.
- Go for a CDN (Content delivery network) to boost up the overall speed of page loading.
- Zip and deflate to compress the contents.
- Use <links> instead of @import to avoid additional pressure on page loading.
- Style sheets and contents should load on priority basis to hold the interest of the visitor.
- Scripts and function related stuffs should be in the last row of loading list. First impress the visitors, and then provide them with the proper means of interaction.
- Use latest versions of softwares and plugins.
- Enable browser caching.
- Use CSS instead of using inline coding.
- Bring bulk amount of images like sidebar, header, footer, and icons under the usage of CSS sprites.
- Do not overdo with embeds; although they are excellent for better data comprehension and extra visual appeal, but using too many of them can make the page awfully slow.
Speeding up the site by changing the hosting plan:
If you do not have much scope for applying any of the above systems, then contact your hosting provider to see what packages they have to upgrade your server plans:
- Virtual Private Server – a better option than shared hosting, budget friendly.
- Dedicated Server Hosting – one of the most expensive and effective hosting process, needs advanced knowledge for maintenance.
- Cloud Server Hosting – very effective, fairly expensive, needs moderate maintenance.